Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Captain America Spotlight #1: Free Spirit

I am starting something new here at War of the Words and guess what? It has absolutely nothing to do with video games!  I am currently developing games, playing games, and talking about games both for recreation and business. As a result, I have been turning to comic books and other forms of media to escape from my busy life.

In light of that, I am going to begin regularly posting about Captain America characters, issues, storylines, and villains. I'll put up images (from my own digital Cap library), issue numbers, and other details that even other Cap diehards might find useful or new. Also, if you have any recommendations for me to read, I'd love to discuss my favorite super-hero with you! Just comment here or find me on twitter @MAWeeden.

Without further adieu, my first ever Captain America Spotlight begins!


Captain America Spotlight #1: Free Spirit




Free Spirit was first introduced in the issue above (Vol. 1 #431). She is Cathy Webster, a university student who pretty much rocks at everything except for athletics. She volunteers to do some sort of psychological experiment put on by Dr. Deirdre Wentworth that ultimately ends up with her being brain-washed to hate men (thanks to subliminal messages), as you'll see below.


"A good consciousness raising" indeed. Her confident stance in the image above and the techniques you'll see in the one below are a result of a powerful ray that has made Cathy into some sort of super-soldier not all too different from Captain America himself (who, at this point in the comics, was actually in the middle of losing some of his power). The Free Spirit makes quick work of these college kids before finally managing to break Dr. Wentworth's brainwashing.


On the whole, I never felt as if Cathy Webster was a serious A-lister in the Cap universe, but I always liked her costume and origin story. She did help quite a bit against Superia (who was Dr. Wentworth's other identity) and some other villains and even shouldered some of the crime fighting work-load left behind when Cap finally did lose just about all of the power he had.

The Free Spirit is a character I'd love to see come back in a big way or even play a role in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe). She was set up to be one of the greats but that never did come to pass. Maybe we should start a movement to make sure that happens? Haha.

In the meantime, be on the lookout for more Cap Spots in my blog as well as some original content concerning Dark Link and another title we are currently developing over at Bio's Remnant Gaming.

See ya'll around!

~Matt

 

No comments:

Post a Comment