Thursday, February 13, 2014

First Contact, Part 2 (Querying an Agent)

Last entry, I discussed what I've discovered to be true about where a writer or artist must be prior to seeking out someone to represent them to working professionals. Judging by the e-mails I received, I struck a chord with many of you. I am honored that you found something helpful in my words, but I should follow-up that entry by reminding everyone what I posted is simply one way to do it. Don't take my advice alone.

Also, apologies on the time it has taken for me to follow-up. As many of you know, I never want for something to write. I always keep myself busy with various writing projects in several different forms of media. Recently, however, I was interviewed and hired by Bio's Remnant, a new independent video game developer. My work with them kept me away from my blog for a time as the project got underway but now that I've established a pace and a rhythm, I feel comfortable setting it down long enough to resume my blog.

Anyway, today's entry will be tighter in focus. As the subtitle of my post indicated, I will be writing about the Agent Query process.

I want to start by mentioning this: This process is far less painful than it has been made out to be. The following is a quote I've copied from AgentQuery.com,

"Agents take queries very seriously, and yes, they really do read them. It’s not some universal rumor that agents have perpetuated because they all have a secret fetish for being bombarded with mail. Sure, agents make it sound like digging through the slush pile is the last priority of their day. Some agents even relegate the ambivalent task of reading unsolicited queries to an assistant or intern. But the fact of the matter is that most agents do read queries. Even more importantly, agents actually respond to ones that spark their interest.

So write a professional, intelligent, concise, intriguing query and not only will you entice an agent to ask for more, but you’ll move yourself one step closer to a book sale."

Doesn't sound all that frightening, does it? The reality is, the process is simple once you know what literary agents are expecting. As a writer, you only need two things prior to sending your query: Item 1 is something finished to pitch them. Item 2 is knowing exactly who you are sending your query to, and why.

Whether you've written a children's book, a book, or a script you should have it finished before you begin to query agents. As you'll discover when you begin to read Agent profiles at sites like the one mentioned above, they are assuming what you are pitching is finished and they'll have something to immediately begin to try and sell for you. Keep in mind, they are interested in your second work, as debut novels and scripts usually don't bring in all that much money. Having that first project done goes a long way in proving that you can finish what you start.

Item 2 is an often overlooked aspect of the query process, but you should be aware who exactly the person on the other end of that e-mail is and why you are sending it to them specifically. In fact, most agents state in their Submission Guidelines that you include this as part of your query. The implication here is to do your research and learn who the agent is.

Writing a query is the next point to bring up, and let me tell you, it is far simpler than you realize. Follow the formula below:
  • Start with a one sentence description of your project. Remember: ONE sentence. For example, Sheriff James Toole has arrived in the town of Waterhouse with a plan to evict the dangerous outlaws living there and protect the hard-working families of the surrounding areas.
  • The next paragraph should be an expanded synopsis that explains the first sentence.
  • The third paragraph should be an explanation of who you are, your resume, and why you selected this agent.
And that's it! Everything else will be agent specific. They might want you to put a certain phrase, their name, or the name of your project as the subject of the e-mail. They may ask for the first ten pages of your book to be attached or they just might want an excerpt copied into the e-mail. If it is a script, they likely will want a logline and perhaps a few dialog samples. Regardless, this is another reason why you should do some research on the agent before you send anything to them.


Finally, here is a list of questions to ask yourself as you go about researching agents:

Does this agent have a sample list of published books and authors on their website?
Not having books advertised or mentioned on an agent or agency's website is a red flag. They make money via selling written works. If their site doesn't "Show-off" who or what the agent has successfully represented then it is likely they have not been successful. Exemptions exist, but make sure you find out what or who the agent has represented and how recently they have had success before you send your query.

Does the agent represent my chosen genre?
Should be obvious, but make sure you practice due diligence on this front. Don't assume they will represent science fiction because they represent fantasy, and don't assume they represent all forms of the genre you are writing in. For example, I've seen an agent list in his biography that he was searching for science-fiction with a female protagonist. Not all agents are this specific, but you get the idea.

Are they accepting submissions?
Again, sounds obvious but I've found myself sending an e-mail in to an agent only to be browsing their site later and find they weren't accepting queries. Research handles this question and the ones before it as well. Know your agent and you stand a better chance of success.


...And that concludes my blog post on this topic. Just remember to be patient and to never give up. Most agents I've queried have replied kindly to my submission, even when turning it down. Some have even given me some advice on how I might be more appealing in the future. Keep an open mind and I'm sure, you'll do find.

Good luck! And let me know if you find any success!

~M. A. Weeden


2 comments:

  1. This is so helpful, exactly what I needed. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you found it helpful! Makes the post worth it. :) Please, share any success you have with me.

    ReplyDelete